Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Creating a Fresh Pretty Gift {With Maja Design}


Hello friends! I thought I would share with you all a fun little 'Thinking of You' gift idea.  I found this cute little unfinished wooden crate at my local Dollar store and thought I would use some of the fresh pretty patterns in the Maja Design papers to dress it up to create a candle holder gift set.
  Lantliv-P (1)

Antligen

I used the 'Naturen doftar' paper from the 'Antligen' paper collection to cover the outside strips of the wooden crate.  I used a mixture of equal parts white glue and water to adhere my paper strips to the wooden crate.  I just love the sweet white dotted green paper for this, I think it gives the project an nice Spring feel to it.

  Crate_Gabrielle_Pollacco_Maja_Design_view2

For the inside of the box I used the pretty gingham design in the 'Kitchen Garden' paper from the 'Life in the Country' collection.  And for the middle/side walls I used the lovely script/floral paper that is on the reverse side of the Kitchen Garden paper.

  Crate_Gabrielle_Pollacco_Maja_Design_closeup

For the front of the box I wanted to keep the clean lines of the box design so I didn't over embellish the box, I just added a few paintable Prima Blooms, a twine bow and a Dusty Attic swirl chippie (Elegant Swirls#13), which I painted white and edged with some brown chalk ink (Ingvild Bolme's Branch Bark).

I hope I've inspired you to pull out some of your favorite Maja Design papers and Dusty Attic chipboard to create a little gift to cheer a friend of yours!  You can find a wide variety of Maja Design Papers and Dusty Attic Chipboard at The Scrapbook Diaries.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today, I always appreciate and read all your lovely comments! xo

19 comments:

Gitte said...

Looks beautiful.

Petras Bastelschätze said...

Wow Gabrielle this candle box looks so gorgeous, I like it very much. Very well done
LG Petra

Zemyna said...

This is darling and I would like to attempt the project. Can you explain about the 1/2 water and 1/2 glue? What glue, specifically, and why dilute with water? Thank you so much! I admire your art.

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Zemyna,
Yes, I think I should've given more explanation. I combine 1 part white craft glue, like Aleene's Tacky Glue (the gold bottle you see me using in my videos), mix it up in a sealed glass jar. I then use a paint brush to apply the paper strips to the wood panels. I do this because straight glue can sometimes go on unevenly and not properly cover the whole surface. This way the paper strips go on perfectly, evenly with no air bubbles or glue lumps behind them and you dont end up with edges that are peeling away because there is no adhesive behind them. xo

Martie Rollin said...

Lovely gift idea. It's amazing that $1 items can be turned into something this nice. Well done!

Sherrie K. said...

Beautiful project! Wow, love the fun papers and awesome details!
Sherrie K

Romy said...

Your projects really reminds me of spring and sunshine. It´s super pretty!

Zemyna said...

Thank you so much. I figured it was something like that but I need very specific instructions! HA!

Maureen Killen said...

Hello Gabrielle,
What a great project. I'll have a look in our pound stores, but I don't think we have such good things as in the States.
Thanks for explaining how you mix the glue. xx

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Lol,...well, I'm in Canada Maureen...but recently the big chain of Dollar stores here have switched to a dollar+ format, so some items are a little more, I believe the wood crate was $1.50 ...never the less, they do have some great crafting items ;)

Kathy Bradley said...

Gabrielle,
I just saw your beautiful basket/candles over on Maja's blog - really you are so talented and could obviously see the potential in the basket - me, I'm sure I would have strolled on by. The papers you selected are wonderful and do give off the awesome vibe of Spring. Thank you for sharing your lovely project and your art!

Patty O'Malley said...

What a pretty gift set, Gabi! I love the square shape of the candles.

Kathy said...

Such a sweet gift this is! I have a whole closet full of dollar store and Target $1 items and I'm pretty sure I'll find one of these in there! Wonderful idea, thanks for sharing! Blessings! Kathy

The Scrapbooker's Confetti Box said...

Love this and what a wonderful gift for that special person in your life. I don't think my mind wanders enough to see the potential in a lot of these items in the shops. Thanks to you it will now.

Lizzyc said...

What a lovely gift, a beautiful transformation of the little crate and love the flowers too.. Gorgeous creating!

Jan's Paper Flowers said...

I love this! What a lovely gift idea!

Rachelle Olaridge said...

Hi Gabi. What a gorgeous little gift. So amazing and darling. Love it!
Huggies!!!!

Rosa Forino said...

ciao volevo avvisarti che ti ho incitata e inserita in un mio post http://www.kreattivablog.com/2015/02/fata-mixed-media-art.html spero non ti dispiaccia ciao rosa

Conniecrafter said...

such a great idea to dress that up, they are pretty papers and your flowers are just lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails